There appears to be a dose-response relationship between CD8+ tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) and high-grade serous ovarian carcinoma survival, according to a multicenter observational, prospective survival cohort study involving >5,500 women. Participants were diagnosed at an average of ~58 years of age and included patients with high-grade serous ovarian carcinomas (HGSOCs; n=3,196). Investigators grouped patients based on the estimated number of CD8+ TILs, and looked at overall survival time. Among the results:
- HGSOCs showed the most infiltration.
- Median survival was 2.8 years for patients with no CD8+ TILs.
- In patients with low, moderate, or high levels of CD8+ TILs it was 3, 3.8, and 5.1 years, respectively.
- Survival benefit was seen among women with endometrioid and mucinous carcinomas.
- Among HGSOCs, CD8+ TILs were favorable regardless of extent of residual disease following cytoreduction, known standard treatment, and germline BRCA1 pathogenic mutation.
- They were not prognostic for BRCA2 mutation carriers.
Ovarian Tumor Tissue Analysis (OTTA) Consortium. Dose-response association of cd8+ tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and survival time in high-grade serous ovarian cancer. [Published online ahead of print October 12, 2017]. JAMA Oncol. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.3290.
This Week's Must Reads
ASCO Guideline on Alcohol Consumption and Cancer, J Clin Oncol; 2018 Jan; LoConte, Brewster, et al
Cochrane On Bisphosphonates for Prostate Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 26; Macherey, Monsef, et al
Cochrane on Vaccine-Based Immunotherapy for NSCLC, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 16; Zhu, Li, Tiselius, et al
Stereotactic Radiotherapy System Approved For BC, FDA news release; 2017 Dec 22
Perjeta Approved for Certain Type of Early BC, Genentech news release; 2017 Dec 20
Must Reads in Gynecologic Cancer
CD8+ Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Ovarian Ca, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Oct 12; OTTA Consortium
Lymph Node Removal During Endometrial Ca Surgery, Cochrane; 2017 Oct 2; Frost, Webster, et al
Cochrane on Reducing Neoplasia in Molar Pregnancy, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Wang, Fu, Hu, et al
FDA Approves First Biosimilar to Treat Cancer, FDA news release; 2017 Sep 14
HPV vs Pap Test for Cervical Cancer Screening, Cochrane; 2017 Aug 10; Koliopoulos, Nyaga, et al