Consuming higher amounts of fiber after being diagnosed with nonmetastatic colorectal cancer (CRC) is linked with lower CRC-related and overall mortality, according to a study involving nearly 1,600 individuals. Participants were from the Nurses’ Health Study and Health Professionals Follow-up Study, an average of ~69 years of age, and had stage I to III CRC. Investigators looked at food intake via food frequency questionnaires and assessed its impact on CRC-related and overall mortality. Among the results:
- There were 773 deaths, 174 from CRC, during a median 8 years of follow-up.
- Overall, CRC-specific mortality was reduced by 22% for each 5-g increased increment in fiber intake/day.
- Overall mortality was lowered by 14%.
- In patients who increased their fiber intake after diagnosis, CRC-specific mortality was reduced by 18% for each 5-g/day increase in intake.
- Overall mortality in these patients was reduced by 14%.
- Cereal fiber reduced both CRC-specific and overall mortality.
- Vegetable fiber reduced overall mortality.
- Whole grain reduced CRC-specific mortality.
- No link was seen with fruit fiber.
Song M, Wu K, Meyerhardt J, et al. Fiber intake and survival after colorectal cancer diagnosis. [Published online ahead of print November 2, 2017]. JAMA Oncol. doi:10.1001/jamaoncol.2017.3684.
This Week's Must Reads
ASCO Guideline on Alcohol Consumption and Cancer, J Clin Oncol; 2018 Jan; LoConte, Brewster, et al
Cochrane On Bisphosphonates for Prostate Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 26; Macherey, Monsef, et al
Cochrane on Vaccine-Based Immunotherapy for NSCLC, Cochrane; 2017 Dec 16; Zhu, Li, Tiselius, et al
Stereotactic Radiotherapy System Approved For BC, FDA news release; 2017 Dec 22
Perjeta Approved for Certain Type of Early BC, Genentech news release; 2017 Dec 20
Must Reads in Gastroenterology
Fiber Intake and Survival After CRC Diagnosis, JAMA Oncol; ePub 2017 Nov 2; Song, Wu, et al
Cochrane on Detecting CRC in Patients with IBD, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 18; Bye, Nguyen, Parker, et al
FDA Approves Keytruda for Advanced Gastric Ca, Merck news release; 2017 Sep 22
FDA Approves Opdivo for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, Bristol-Myers Squibb news release; 2017 Sep 22
Cochrane on Heparin Impact in People with Cancer , Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Akl, Kahale, et al