A newly-tested tool can estimate the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in patients with peripherally inserted central catheters (PICCs), according to a study involving more than 23,000 individuals. Participants with upper extremity DVT were divided into 4 risk classes. The Michigan PICC-DVT Risk Score was then tested and validated to determine factors linked with PICC-DVT. Among the results:
- 2% of patients developed PICC-DVT.
- Risk factors included DVT history, multi-lumen PICC, active cancer, presence of another central venous catheter, and white blood cell count >12,000.
- Thrombosis rates were 0.9% for class I, 1.6% for class II, 2.7% for class III, and 4.7% for class IV.
- Predicted probabilities were 0.9%, 1.5%, 2.6%, and 4.5%, respectively.
- Patients in class II were 50% more likely to develop PICC-DVT than those in class I.
- Patients in classes III and IV were nearly 3 and >5 times more likely, respectively.
Chopra V, Kaatz S, Conlon A, et al. The Michigan Risk Score to predict peripherally inserted central catheter-associated thrombosis. [Published online ahead of print September 13, 2017]. J Thromb Haemost. doi:10.1111/jth.13794.
This Week's Must Reads
Undertreatment of Newly-Diagnosed MM Evaluated, Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Fakhri, et al
Blacks Fare Better After This Type of Transplant , Biol Blood Marrow Transplant.; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Solomon, et al
Aminocaproic Acid, Bleeding Complications Assessed, Leuk Lymphoma; ePub 2018 Feb 9; Juhl, Roddy, et al
Medication Adherence’s Impact on Outcomes in MM , Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk; ePub 2018 Feb 3; Gupta, et al
FDA Approves Rebinyn to Treat Hemophilia B, Novo Nordisk news release; 2018 Feb 8
Must Reads in Thrombosis
Guideline on Preventing VTE in Pediatric Cancer, J Thromb Haemost; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Tullius, et al
Cochrane on Anticoagulants in Patients with Cancer, Cochrane; 2017 Sep 11; Akl, Kahale, Hakoum, et al
This Newly-Tested Tool Predicts PICC-DVT Risk, J Thromb Haemost; ePub 2017 Sep 13; Chopra, et al
Gender and Survival in Patients with ET, Am J Hematol; ePub 2017 Aug 28; Tefferi, et al
Algorithm for Heparin-Induced Thrombocytopenia, J Thromb Haemost; ePub 2017 Jul 17; Raschke, et al