The American Heart Association (AHA) has issued recommendations and best evidence-based guidance for healthcare providers who diagnose and manage Kawasaki disease (KD), a leading cause of acquired heart disease in children in developed countries. The goal of the scientific statement is to provide updated recommendations for diagnosis, treatment of the acute illness, and long-term management. It incorporates the following:
- New evidence regarding underlying pathological processes.
- An algorithm to ensure capture of incomplete KD during the effective window of therapy.
- Improved management of the acute illness that includes the use of additional therapies for IVIG-refractory patients.
- Greater use of Z scores for classifying coronary artery involvement.
- Greater specification of long-term management based on both initial and current coronary artery involvement.
- Acknowledgement of the care needs of a growing population of adults with a previous history of KD and coronary artery aneurysms.
McCrindle BW, Rowley AH, Newburger JW, et al. Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease. A scientific statement from healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association. [Published online ahead of print March 29, 2017]. Circulation. doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000484.
This Week's Must Reads
Lipid Testing After Acute Myocardial Infarction, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Jan 25; Wang, et al
Clinical Pharmadynamics of Evolocumab, Clin Pharmacokinet; ePub 2018 Jan 20; Kasichayanula, et al
Lipoproteins & CV Outcomes in Dialysis Patients, J Clin Lipidol; ePub 2017 Dec 26; Kaysen, et al
Is Dual Lipid-Lowering Therapy Better?, Atherosclerosis; 2018 Feb; Gragnano, et al
sLOX-1 in Ischemic Stroke & Transient Ischemic Attack, J Am Heart Assoc; ePub 2018 Jan 12; Skarpengland, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
New Stroke Guideline Touts Crucial Treatments, Stroke; ePub 2018 Jan 24; Powers, et al
Childhood Adversity & Cardiometabolic Outcomes, Circulation; ePub 2017 Dec 18; Suglia, et al
AHA Statement Evaluates Quality of CV Imaging , Circ Cardiovasc Imaging; ePub 2017 Dec 14; Shaw, et al
AHA/ACC Issues New Hypertension Guidelines , Hypertension; ePub 2017 Nov 13; Whelton, et al
Guidelines Focus on Ventricular Arrhythmias & SCD, J Am Coll Cardiol; ePub 2017 Oct 30; Al-Khatib, et al