The American Psychiatric Association has updated its Practice Guidelines for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults. The association notes that the new edition marks a transition for APA guidelines, in that they adopt principles from the Institute of Medicine, the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Nine separate guideline modules cover:
• Review of Psychiatric Symptoms, Trauma History, and Psychiatric Treatment History
• Substance Use Assessment
• Suicide Risk Assessment
• Assessment of Risk for Aggressive Behaviors
• Assessment of Cultural Factors
• Assessment of Medical Health
• Quantitative Assessment
• Involvement of the Patient in Treatment Decisions
• Documentation of the Psychiatric Evaluation
Of particular note, the new guideline includes a section on “Quality Measurement Considerations,” which are reviewed for each module. For instance, the Substance Abuse module shows how the APA’s recommendations align with the National Quality Forum’s measures:
• NQF Measure 028: Assess the percentage of adults who are screened every two years for tobacco use and, if identified as a user, receive cessation counseling.
• NQF Measure 110: Assess the percentage of patients with depression or bipolar disorder with evidence of an initial assessment that includes an appraisal for alcohol or chemical dependency.
Practice Guideline for the Psychiatric Evaluation of Adults, 3rd edition. American Psychiatric Association. August 2015. psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9780890426760.pe01.
This Week's Must Reads
Relative Importance of Non-Suicidal Self-Injury, Psychiatry Res; ePub 2018 Feb 4; Burke, et al
Poor Sleep and Non-Medical Prescription Drug Use , Behav Sleep Med; ePub 2017 Dec 22; Alamir, et al
Restrictive Eating, Non-Suicidal Self Injury Link, Compr Psychiatry; ePub 2018 Feb 11; Wang, et al
Interdisciplinary Approach to Transgender Aging, Am J Geriatr Psych; ePub 2018 Feb 7; Johnson, et al
Contraceptive Choice Among Young Adults Examined, J Sex Res; ePub Jan 26; Harvey, Oakley, et al
Must Reads in Clinical Guidelines
VA/DoD Release Guideline for PTSD, ASD, VA/DoD news release; 2017 Jun
APA Guideline: Antipsychotics for Dementia Patients, Am J Psychiatry; ePub 2016 May 1; Reus, et al
New CDC Pain Guideline Addresses Opioid Use Disorder, JAMA; ePub 2016 Mar 15; Dowell, Haegerich, et al
Autism Screening in Young Children, USPSTF finds little evidence to advise either way
USPSTF Recommends Depression Screening in All Adults, Suggestions for women during and after pregnancy