The Fertility & Infertility Treatment Knowledge Score (FIT-KS) can quickly assess fertility knowledge, researchers concluded after conducting a survey of >1,100 individuals. One group of respondents comprised women between 18 and 45 years of age; a second consisted of female medical students and OB-GYN trainees. Investigators assessed natural fertility and infertility treatment knowledge. Among the results:
- FIT-KS score among women was 16.2 (56% correct).
- FIT-KS score among students and trainees was 18.8 (65% correct); year of training correlated to a higher score.
- Participant awareness of lifestyle factors varied; it was especially low regarding the effects of lubricants.
- Most underestimated the spontaneous miscarriage rate and overestimated the fecundability of 40-year-old women.
- Success rates for assisted reproductive technologies were generally overestimated, particularly among medical trainees.
Kudesia R, Chernyak E, McAvey B. Low fertility awareness in U.S. reproductive-aged women and medical trainees: Creation and validation of the Fertility & Infertility Treatment Knowledge Score (FIT-KS). [Published online ahead of print September 11, 2017]. Fertil Steril. doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.07.1158.
This Week's Must Reads
Weight-Loss Efforts in Endometrial Ca Survivors, Cochrane; 2018 Feb 1; Kitson, Ryan, et al
Sulfonylureas and Cardiac Outcomes Evaluated, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018 Feb 2; Leonard, et al
What Impacts Children’s Attempts to Lose Weight? , Obesity; ePub 2018 Feb 1; Ling, Stommel, et al
These Patients with T1D Less Apt to Experience CVD, Diabetes Care; ePub 2018, Jan 31; Gordin, et al
Activity, BMI, and Clustered Metabolic Risk , Metab Syndr Relat Disord; ePub 2018 Jan 29; Williams, et al
Must Reads in Reproductive Endocrinology
This Can Quickly Assess Fertility Knowledge, Fertil Steril; ePub 2017 Sep 11; Kudesia, et al
Impact of Oral Contraceptives, Weight Loss on HDL, LDL, Clin Endocrinol; ePub 2017 Mar 9; Dokras, et al
Progesterone After Ovulation Induction and Insemination, Fertil Steril; ePub 2017 Feb 24; Green, et al
Sex Steroid Hormones and Fracture Risk in Older Women, J Clin Endocrinol Metab; ePub 2017 Jan 25; Cauley, et al
Thyroid Hormone Treatment’s Impact on Pregnancy Loss , BMJ; ePub 2017 Jan 25; Maraka, Mwangi, et al