In poor communities, those without college attain 2-year Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) scores following total knee arthroplasty (TKA) that are 10 points worse than those with some college, a recent study found. Education, however, has no impact on TKA outcomes in wealthy communities. Patient level variables from an institutional registry were linked to US Census Bureau data. Researchers found:
- Of 3,970 TKA patients, 2,438 (61%) had some college or more.
- Having no college was associated with worse pain and function at baseline and 2 years.
- Living in a poor neighborhood (>20% below poverty) was associated with worse 2-year pain and function.
- There was a strong interaction between individual education and community poverty with WOMAC scores at 2 years.
- Patients without college living in poor communities had pain scores that were ~10 points worse than those with some college (83.4% vs 75.7%); in wealthy communities, college was associated with a 1-point difference in pain (function was similar).
Goodman SM, Mandl LA, Mehta B, et al. Education mitigates the effect of poverty on total knee arthroplasty outcomes. [Published online ahead of print November 22, 2107]. Arthritis Care Res. doi:10.1002/acr.23442.
This Week's Must Reads
Excess Weight Has Negative Impact on RA, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Nov 30; Schulman, et al
Severe Weight Loss, RA & Mortality in Women, Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2017 Nov 30; Sparks, et al
Youth: High Health Care Use Prior to SLE Diagnosis, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Dec 1; Chang, et al
AS Pain May Derive from Spinal Inflammation Alone, J Rheumatol; ePub 2017 Dec 1; Dau, Lee, Ward, et al
Joint Replacement Surgery Trends in Those with RA, J Rheumatol; ePub 2017 Dec 1; Young, Watson, et al
Must Reads in Osteoarthritis
US Arthritis Prevalence Has Been Underestimated, Arthritis Rheumatol; ePub 2017 Nov 27; Jafarzadeh, et al
Education Allays Poverty’s Effect on TKA Outcomes, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Nov 22; Goodman, et al
Non-Surgical OA Treatment Factors Evaluated, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Nov 10; Abbate, et al
Fear or Movement with Knee OA Impacts Activity, Arthritis Care Res; ePub 2017 Nov 6; Gunn, et al
Preoperative Scale for Assessing TKA Readmission, J Bone Joint Surg Am; ePub 2017 Nov 1; Siracuse, et al